Thursday 15 September 2016

Line Work Diary

Planning:


My Images
















Evaluation

When I went out to take these pictures, the main focus was to capture the formal element of line. I concentrated on capturing different types of line - converging, horizontal, diagonal, vertical, curved etc. I personally did like the photographs that I took, but I felt that I could improve them by editing them in Photoshop. For example, the picture that I took of the car park tunnel was initially slightly too dark and there wasn't a lot visible. I decided, therefore, to use Photoshop to edit the brightness and exposure of the photograph so that more of the tunnel was visible, making the converging lines more prominent. 


I felt that this was one of the best pictures that I took on my shoot. I think that it demonstrates the element of line very well, in its own way. In this picture, the element of line is depicted through the thick white lines of the zebra crossing. In the original picture, these lines were not very exaggerated and didn't stand out very well. I therefore decided to edit this picture in Photoshop, and adjusted the curves, brightness and contrast in order to put more emphasis on these lines. I also decided to make the photograph black and white in order to better highlight the tones and shadows of the photograph.


This was another of the best pictures that I took on my shoot. I think this also demonstrates the element of line effectively and in its own way. The element of line is demonstrated through how the metal fence contrasts against the clouds in the sky. This photograph, like the picture of the zebra crossing, focuses on the horizontal line. In order to make this picture more bold, I decided to firstly make it black in white to better show the contrast between the fence and the sky. In order to further emphasise this contrast, I edited the brightness, contrast and curve levels to make the blue of the sky darker and the fence more silhouetted against the white clouds in the sky.


Progression

There are many ways in which I would improve my pictures. For example, I would improve the first picture in this post by taking the photograph from a much lower camera angle, in order to focus more on the lined decking in front of the models feet. I would also change the lighting so that perhaps the models legs were silhouetted against the lines, thus creating more of an emphasis on the decking.

As for the photograph that I took of the zebra crossing, if I was able to retake this photograph I would also change the camera angle. I'd make sure that the plants in the corner were cropped out of the frame, so that there is more emphasis on the lines on the crossing. I might even use more of a close up angle to better capture the lines and their boldness.

In order to improve the tunnel picture, I would retake it perhaps with the flash on, as initially the picture I took was slightly too dark, meaning that not a lot of the picture was actually visible. By changing the lighting, I would capture the car-park tunnel as it got smaller, therefore highlighting both the converging and leading lines of the composition.

To improve the sky and fence picture I would slightly change my camera angle so that the fence looks less askew. This would make it seem much more powerful, as all lines would be straight and even. I might also take the picture at a different time in the day for a different type of sky look. 

Finally, I would change the photograph I took of the building against the sky backdrop by also taking the photograph at a different time during the day so that the sky would look more interesting; perhaps sunset, so that the building would be silhouetted against the reds and oranges of the setting sun, making it much more beautiful and interesting to look at. 

2 comments:

  1. VERY GOOD Kia, there is however a need for you to annotate why you changed the images and also to add screen grabs of the edit procedure ignored for you to gain an higher mark as this would show how you have refined your work... you will also need to think of the connotations/associated with the images and denotations you produce. This is important as you are probably scoring at about B grade we need you to ADD MORE to get you up to an A...

    ReplyDelete
  2. finally all of your posts need to be labelled in order for the viewers to navigate your blogs more easily...

    ReplyDelete